Recombinant Mouse SMPD1 Protein, CF
Recombinant Mouse SMPD1 Protein, CF Summary
Tyr58-Leu626, with a C-terminal 10-His tag
CF stands for Carrier Free (CF). We typically add Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) as a carrier protein to our recombinant proteins. Adding a carrier protein enhances protein stability, increases shelf-life, and allows the recombinant protein to be stored at a more dilute concentration. The carrier free version does not contain BSA.
In general, we advise purchasing the recombinant protein with BSA for use in cell or tissue culture, or as an ELISA standard. In contrast, the carrier free protein is recommended for applications, in which the presence of BSA could interfere.
|Formulation||Supplied as a 0.2 μm filtered solution in Tris and NaCl.|
|Shipping||The product is shipped with dry ice or equivalent. Upon receipt, store it immediately at the temperature recommended below.|
|Stability & Storage:||Use a manual defrost freezer and avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
- Assay Buffer: 50 mM MES, 0.5 µM ZnCl2, pH 6.5
- Developing Buffer: 0.2 M NaOH
- Recombinant Mouse SMPD-1 (rmSMPD-1) (Catalog # 5680-PD)
- Substrate: 2-N-Hexadecanoylamino-4-nitrophenylphosphorylcholine (HNPPC) (Gojira Fine Chemicals, Catalog # HN1004), 50 mM stock solution in methanol. Note: Incubate at 37 °C for 5 minutes and vortex to dissolve.
- 96-well Clear Plate (Catalog # DY990)
- Plate Reader (Model: SpectraMax Plus by Molecular Devices) or equivalent
- Dilute rmSMPD-1 to 2 µg/mL in Assay Buffer and incubate at 37 °C for 10 minutes.
- Dilute Substrate to 1 mM in Assay Buffer and incubate at 37 °C for 10 minutes.
- Combine 50 µL of rmSMPD-1 and 50 µL of Substrate in a plate. Create Substrate Blanks by using Assay Buffer in place of rmSMPD-1.
- Cover plate and incubate at room temperature for 20 minutes in the dark.
- Stop the reaction by adding 100 µL of Developing Buffer to each well.
- Read (top read) absorbance in endpoint mode at 410 nm.
- Calculate specific activity:
Specific Activity (pmol/min/µg) =
|Adjusted Abs* (OD) x Conversion Factor** (pmol/OD)|
|Incubation time (min) x amount of enzyme (µg)|
*Adjusted for Substrate Blank
**Derived using calibration standard p-Nitrophenol (Sigma-Aldrich, Catalog # 241326).Per Well:
- rmSMPD-1: 0.10 µg
- Substrate: 250 µM
SMPD1 is a lysosomal phosphodiesterase which belongs to the acid sphingomyelinase family (1). SMPD1 catalyzes the hydrolysis of sphingomyelin to ceramide and phosphorylcholine. Ceramide, a bioactive lipid, has emerged into an important signaling molecule involved in a variety of cellular processes such as cell differentiation, apoptosis, and proliferation (2). Activation of SMPD1 occurs by the removal, chemical modification or dimerization of its C-terminal cysteine residue (Cys 627) (3). Deficiencies of SMPD1 result in a lysosomal storage disorder referred to as Niemann-Pick disease (4). rmSMPD1 was expressed without its C-terminal cysteine residue, and is therefore constitutively active.
- Schuchman, E.H. et al. (1991) J. Biol. Chem. 266:8531.
- Melendez, A.J. et al. (2008) Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1784:66.
- Qui, H. et al. (2003) J. Biol. Chem. 278:32744.
- Smith, E.L. and E.H. Schuchman (2008) FASEB J. 22:3419.
No product specific FAQs exist for this product, however you mayView all Proteins and Enzyme FAQs
Reviews for Recombinant Mouse SMPD1 Protein, CF
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review Recombinant Mouse SMPD1 Protein, CF and earn rewards!
Have you used Recombinant Mouse SMPD1 Protein, CF?
Submit a review and receive an Amazon gift card.
$25/€18/£15/$25CAN/¥75 Yuan/¥1250 Yen for a review with an image
$10/€7/£6/$10 CAD/¥70 Yuan/¥1110 Yen for a review without an image