Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1, Animal-Free Protein
Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1, Animal-Free Protein Summary
The specific activity of Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1 is approximately 2.5 IU/μg, which is calibrated against recombinant human IGF-I/IGF-1 WHO International Standard (NIBSC code: 91/554).
Produced using non-animal reagents in an animal-free laboratory.
CF stands for Carrier Free (CF). We typically add Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) as a carrier protein to our recombinant proteins. Adding a carrier protein enhances protein stability, increases shelf-life, and allows the recombinant protein to be stored at a more dilute concentration. The carrier free version does not contain BSA.
In general, we advise purchasing the recombinant protein with BSA for use in cell or tissue culture, or as an ELISA standard. In contrast, the carrier free protein is recommended for applications, in which the presence of BSA could interfere.
|Formulation||Lyophilized from a 0.2 μm filtered solution in PBS.|
|Reconstitution||Reconstitute at 0.2 mg/mL in sterile PBS.|
|Shipping||The product is shipped at ambient temperature. Upon receipt, store it immediately at the temperature recommended below.|
|Stability & Storage:||Use a manual defrost freezer and avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Animal Free Proteins
Animal-free proteins are particularly important for researchers concerned with experimental variables caused by trace animal components or mammalian pathogens. Our products generated under animal-free conditions share the same biological activities as those produced using our standard laboratory techniques.
Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I or IGF-1), also known as somatomedin C, is the dominant effector of growth hormone and is structurally homologous to proinsulin. Human IGF-I/IGF-1 is synthesized as two precursor isoforms with N- and alternate C-terminal propeptides (1). These isoforms are differentially expressed by various tissues (1). The 7.6 kDa mature IGF-I/IGF-1 is identical between isoforms and is generated by proteolytic removal of the N- and C-terminal regions. Mature human IGF-I/IGF-1 shares 94% and 96% aa sequence identity with mouse and rat IGF-I/IGF-1, respectively (2), and exhibits cross-species activity. It shares 64% aa sequence identity with mature human IGF‑II/IGF-2. Circulating IGF-I/IGF-1 is produced by hepatocytes, while local IGF-I/IGF-1 is produced by many other tissues in which it has paracrine effects (1). IGF-I/IGF-1 induces the proliferation, migration, and differentiation of a wide variety of cell types during development and postnatally (3). IGF-I/IGF-1 regulates glucose and fatty acid metabolism, steroid hormone activity, and cartilage and bone metabolism (4-7). It plays an important role in muscle regeneration and tumor progression (1, 8). IGF-I/IGF-1 binds IGF‑I R, IGF-II R, and the insulin receptor, although its effects are mediated primarily by IGF-I R (9). IGF-I/IGF-1 association with IGF binding proteins increases its plasma half‑life and modulates its interactions with receptors (10).
- Philippou, A. et al. (2007) In Vivo 21:45.
- Sandberg-Nordqvist, A.C. et al. (1992) Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 12:275.
- Guvakova, M.A. (2007) Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 39:890.
- Clemmons, D.R. (2006) Curr. Opin. Pharmacol. 6:620.
- Bluher, S. et al. (2005) Best Pract. Res. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 19:577.
- Garcia-Segura, L.M. et al. (2006) Neuroendocrinology 84:275.
- Malemud, C.J. (2007) Clin. Chim. Acta 375:10.
- Samani, A.A. et al. (2007) Endocrine Rev. 28:20.
- LeRoith, D. and S. Yakar (2007) Nat. Clin. Pract. Endocrinol. Metab. 3:302.
- Denley, A. et al. (2005) Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 16:421.
Manufacturing SpecificationsAnimal-Free Manufacturing Conditions
Our dedicated controlled-access animal-free laboratories ensure that at no point in production are the products exposed to potential contamination by animal components or byproducts. Every stage of manufacturing is conducted in compliance with R&D Systems' stringent Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Production and purification procedures use equipment and media that are confirmed animal-free.
- All molecular biology procedures use animal-free media and dedicated labware.
- Dedicated fermentors are utilized in committed animal-free areas.
- Protein purification columns are animal-free.
- Bulk proteins are filtered using animal-free filters.
- Purified proteins are stored in animal-free containers in a dedicated cold storage room.
- Low Endotoxin Level.
- No impairment of biological activity.
- High quality product obtained under stringent conditions.
- For ex vivo research or bioproduction, additional documentation can be provided.
No product specific FAQs exist for this product, however you mayView all Proteins and Enzyme FAQs
Reviews for Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1, Animal-Free Protein
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1, Animal-Free Protein and earn rewards!
Have you used Recombinant Human IGF-I/IGF-1, Animal-Free Protein?
Submit a review and receive an Amazon gift card.
$25/€18/£15/$25CAN/¥75 Yuan/¥1250 Yen for a review with an image
$10/€7/£6/$10 CAD/¥70 Yuan/¥1110 Yen for a review without an image