Human MIF Antibody Summary
Accession # P14174
Please Note: Optimal dilutions should be determined by each laboratory for each application. General Protocols are available in the Technical Information section on our website.
Detection of Human MIF by Western Blot. Western blot shows lysates of THP‑1 human acute monocytic leukemia cell line and U937 human histiocytic lymphoma cell line. PVDF membrane was probed with 2 µg/mL of Mouse Anti-Human MIF Monoclonal Antibody (Catalog # MAB2893) followed by HRP-conjugated Anti-Mouse IgG Secondary Antibody (Catalog # HAF018). A specific band was detected for MIF at approximately 12 kDa (as indicated). This experiment was conducted under reducing conditions and using Immunoblot Buffer Group 1.
Preparation and Storage
- 12 months from date of receipt, -20 to -70 °C as supplied.
- 1 month, 2 to 8 °C under sterile conditions after reconstitution.
- 6 months, -20 to -70 °C under sterile conditions after reconstitution.
MIF (or macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor) was the first lymphokine/cytokine to be recognized in the pregenomics era (1, 2). Regardless, it is one of the least understood of all inflammatory mediators (1, 3). Human MIF is a 12.5 kDa, 115 amino acid (aa) nonglycosylated polypeptide that is synthesized without a signal sequence (4-7). Secretion occurs nonclassically via an ABCA1 transporter (8). The initiating Met is removed, leaving Pro as the first amino acid. The molecule consists of two alpha -helices and six beta -strands, four of which form a beta -sheet. The two remaining beta -strands interact with other MIF molecules, creating a trimer (2, 9, 10). Structure-function studies suggest MIF is bifunctional with segregated topology. The N- and C-termini mediate enzyme activity (in theory). Phenylpyruvate tautomerase activity (enol-to-keto) has been demonstrated and is dependent upon Pro at position #1 (11). Amino acids 50-65 have also been suggested to contain thiol-protein oxidoreductase activity (12). MIF has proinflammatory cytokine activity centered around aa’s 49-65. On fibroblasts, MIF induces, IL-1, IL-8, and MMP expression; on macrophages, MIF stimulates NO production and TNF-alpha release following IFN-gamma activation (13, 14). MIF apparently acts through CD74 and CD44, likely in some form of trimeric interaction (15, 16). Human MIF is active on mouse cells (14). Human MIF is 90%, 94%, 95%, and 90% aa identical to mouse, bovine, porcine, and rat MIF, respectively.
- Norand, E.F. and M. Leech (2005) Front. Biosci. 10:12.
- Donn, R.P. and D.W. Ray (2004) J. Endocrinol. 182:1.
- Calandra, T. and T. Roger (2003) Nat. Rev. Immunol. 3:791.
- Kozak, C.A. et al. (1995) Genomics 27:405.
- Weiser, W.Y. et al. (1989) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:7522.
- Paralkar, V. and G. Wistow (1994) Genomics 19:48.
- Wistow, G.J. et al. (1993) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:1272.
- Flieger, O. et al. (2003) FEBS Lett. 551:78.
- Philo, J.S. et al. (2004) Biophys. Chem. 108:77.
- Sun, H-W. et al. (1996) Protein Eng. 9:631.
- Stamps, S.L. et. al. (2000) Biochemistry 39:9671.
- Nguyen, M.T. et al. (2003) J. Biol. Chem. 278:33654.
- Sato, A. et al. (2003) Dev. Comp. Immunol. 27:401.
- Bernhagen, J. et al. (1994) Biochemistry 33:14144.
- Leng, L. et al. (2003) J. Exp. Med. 197:1467.
- Meyer-Siegler, K.L. and P.L. Vera (2005) J. Urol. 173:615.
No product specific FAQs exist for this product, however you mayView all Antibody FAQs
Reviews for Human MIF Antibody
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review Human MIF Antibody and earn rewards!
Have you used Human MIF Antibody?
Submit a review and receive an Amazon gift card.
$25/€18/£15/$25CAN/¥75 Yuan/¥1250 Yen for a review with an image
$10/€7/£6/$10 CAD/¥70 Yuan/¥1110 Yen for a review without an image