Human GDF-3 Antibody Summary
Accession # Q9NR23
Please Note: Optimal dilutions should be determined by each laboratory for each application. General Protocols are available in the Technical Information section on our website.
GDF‑3 in BG01V Human Embryonic Stem Cells. GDF-3 was detected in immersion fixed BG01V human embryonic stem cells using Mouse Anti-Human GDF-3 Mono-clonal Antibody (Catalog # MAB5754) at 10 µg/mL for 3 hours at room temperature. Cells were stained using the Northern-Lights™ 557-conjugated Anti-Mouse IgG Secondary Antibody (red; Catalog # NL007) and counterstained with DAPI (blue). Specific staining was localized to cytoplasm. View our protocol for Fluorescent ICC Staining of Cells on Coverslips.
Preparation and Storage
- 12 months from date of receipt, -20 to -70 °C as supplied.
- 1 month, 2 to 8 °C under sterile conditions after reconstitution.
- 6 months, -20 to -70 °C under sterile conditions after reconstitution.
GDF-3 (previously called Vgr-2) is a TGF-beta superfamily member belonging to the growth/differentiation factor family (1, 2). GDF-3 is expressed in undifferentiated embryonic stem (ES) cells, white adipose tissue and the brain (2-4). The 364 amino acid (aa) human GDF-3 contains a 21 aa signal sequence, a 229 aa propeptide and a 114 aa mature region that contains one potential N-glycosylation site. The mature region contains a cysteine-knot structure that is conserved throughout family members. However, it lacks the fourth cysteine which is responsible for the formation of an inter-molecular disulfide bond, so GDF-3 may exist as a non-covalent homodimer (2, 5). Mature human GDF-3 shares 83%, 83%, 91%, 92% and 93% aa identity with mouse, rat, bovine, canine and equine GDF-3, respectively. Most of GDF-3 is present as the uncleaved prepro form (6). The uncleaved and the mature forms both appear to have activity, but that activity may differ (5-8). All forms can oppose BMPs. In human ES cells, inhibition of BMP-2 signaling by GDF-3 maintains pluripotency (5, 7). GDF-3 also influences early cell fate decisions; for example, deletion of mouse GDF-3 produces defects in the anterior visceral endoderm of the pre-gastrulation embryo (6-8). GDF-3 cooperates with GDF-1 in embryogenesis, and the mature protein has nodal-like activity (8, 9). Although GDF family members signal through BMP receptors (ALK-1, -2, -3 and -6), which activate Smads 1, 5 and 8, GDF-3 signaling through ALK-4 and ALK-7, which activate Smads 2 and 3, has also been reported (9, 10). In adipocytes, GDF-3 is induced by a high fat diet, promoting adipogenesis and obesity (3, 10, 11).
- Levine, A.J. and A.H. Brivanlou (2006) Cell Cycle 5:1069.
- McPherron, A.C. and S.-J. Lee (1993) J. Biol. Chem. 268:3444.
- Wang, W. et al. (2004) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 321:1024.
- Hexige, S. et al. (2005) Neurosci. Lett. 389:83.
- Levine, A.J. et al. (2009) Dev. Biol. 325:43.
- Levine, A.J. and A.H. Brivanlou (2005) Development 133:209.
- Peerani, R. et al. (2007) EMBO J. 26:4744.
- Chen, C. et al. (2006) Development 133:319.
- Andersson, O. et al. (2007) Dev. Biol. 311:500.
- Andersson, O. et al. (2008) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:7252.
- Shen, J.J. et al. (2009) Mol. Endocrinol. 23:113.
No product specific FAQs exist for this product, however you mayView all Antibody FAQs
Reviews for Human GDF-3 Antibody
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review Human GDF-3 Antibody and earn rewards!
Have you used Human GDF-3 Antibody?
Submit a review and receive an Amazon gift card.
$25/€18/£15/$25CAN/¥75 Yuan/¥1250 Yen for a review with an image
$10/€7/£6/$10 CAD/¥70 Yuan/¥1110 Yen for a review without an image